The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Friday, January 21, 2005

Getting Started

This might get inturrupted - so hang in there. I'm still learning and deciding how this blog is going work. How personal should I be knowing that strangers could stumble in here and read everything. But on the other hand, what's the point if I'm not going to get personal, since this is suppose to be a resource for my family and friends.

So our adoption journey actually started in July 2002 - weird huh? That's the first informational meeting Sam and I attended. We were mentally exhausted from all the infertility treatments and were ready to head down a different road. It didn't exactly pan out that way since at the time of the meeting I was pregnant with Ian. Our final infertility cycle ended on July 4, 2002 and I vowed never to put myself, my husband, or my family through my crazy hormonal rollercoaster ride every again. Once was enough, and Ian is the perfect product of that adventure. But I knew there were other options out there and I think they are just as valid and wonderful as pregnancy. Of course many people envy me for even having had one successful pregnancy and I am thankful that I experienced it, but many other factors have now entered the equation. Not only are my infertility issues still around, I am now a Type 2 diabetic and have to take medicine to keep my kidneys functioning at 100%. Another pregnancy is not in the cards for me.

I think deep down I always knew adoption was in my future. I'd cut out pictures of little Asian children knowing that was who would call me Mommy. In the grown-up reality of it all there are a lot more things to worry about than the cute child that will some day be ours, but that's what this blog is going to help me get my head around.

We have attended seminars, read pamphlets, listen to speakers, and made phone calls and we are really ready to get this thing going. We have found two agencies that fit us really well. We feel comfortable with their structures and feel comfortable with the people we've met so far. Why two, you might be asking? Well the actually agency we plan on using for our adoption is in Seattle. We have choosen them for several reasons - the most important on being they sponsor the program we feel holds our future child - Thailand. But since they are out of state we need to have an agency here to conduct our homestudy. The one we found has a great philosophy and offers so many benefits (educational seminars, post-placement support, etc). Now we are really focusing on the money issues. We have some set aside and are researching grants, loans, and donation options.

The next few posts will be on specific items such as money, timing, and some fears I've been having. Those will come shortly.

Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swiftyjess said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/22/2005 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home