The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Recommended reading

I'm reading this fabulous book that I wanted to share (if anyone is out there). It's called "a love like no other" and it's essays by famous writers about adoption. Personal essays dealing with everything from infant to older, domestic and international, foster care and family adoptions, and single-married-same sex parenting. It's amazing. Not all the stories are happy - which makes it so real and compelling. Some deal with really hard issues about attachment, divorce, guilt while others are about the joys and challenges of adoption (but in a good way). Each one that I've read so far has been really eye opening - not only for what I'll probably go through but what my friends will go through in their own adoption processes.

If you are interested in adoption, know someone who's adopting, or considering adoption I recommend this book 100%. When I'm done - I'm gonig to make Sam read it, then my mom. I might pass it on to my sisters next (probably Donna first because she actually might have time to read it on her commute) and my in-laws. I think it's a great way to help people understand some insider issues without stuffing articles and studies down their throats and without preaching to them. Hopefully this will answer a lot of questions before they are asked (and before they hurt any feelings).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home