The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Thursday, January 19, 2006

To advocate or not?

I'm starting to feel conflicted about our adoption story - who to tell, who to share details, who's ignorant anyway and it doesn't matter?

The other day while working out, myself and another lady were watching Oprah. It was not a pleasant topic - sexual abuse, but what made it worse was that a man actually went through the adoption process to bring home a sex slave. Gross! It was nearly 7 years ago (which doesn't sounds like a lot, but in terms of adoption law probably is) and through Russia - which has been known to have problems internally anyway - but still it was shameful that this took place. The lady working out with me was appalled. She started making minor comments about the adoption system and how would anyone let a single man adopt anyone? I felt like i should have spoken up - but would it have benefited anyone? I know once I bring my child home I will stand up to anyone (at least infront of my child). Should I feel obligated to stir the pot with practical strangers? Is it my job as a mother-to-be of an international adoptee to stand up for knowledge and educatate the world? I'm not sure that even after my family is all home and safe, that if I'm alone I will put myself out there like that. I want to belive I'm strong and powerful enough to argue and advocate but what if I'm really not?

Is making the decision to adoption internationally also making the decision to be the spokesperson for racial kindness and tolerance - and teacher of adoption 101? I don't mind answering questions, but should I offer answers when no question was asked? This will be with me for the rest of my life and I know each day will bring new challenges - I also know that I probably will feel stronger some days - more private others. So is there any answer to these questions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home