The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Home Safe and Sound

Let the new adventure begin. We arrived home this afternoon to a nice little welcome at the airport. It was amazing to see everyone who came out and after getting off the plane, waiting in lines, getting luggage, more lines and finally emerging into the light of the arrivals sections I was completely overwhelmed. Seeing Ian and everyone standing there was heartwarming. My sister took some video and my sister-in-law took some pictures which I'll post when I receive them. It's nice to be home.

Things are about a new kind of adjustment now. Jesse is a little sad and confused (to be expected) and Ian thinks that means he wants to go back to the orphanage. I've been trying to explain he's just scared and soon he will be happy and carefree, too. We also realized (very quickly) that Jesse is DEATHLY afraid of our cat. It occurs to us that perhaps he's never really seen a cat before. The terror on his face was nearly amusing in an "oh my god I've traumatized my child" kind of way.

It's taking Jesse some getting used to - being in a room without us, in a different crib and just different surroundings, so getting to sleep tonight was interesting. Ian was great - he's going to be a great big brother. And here is his two cents: "So Mommy, when Jesse is big like me and you bring home another baby - then we'll both be the big brothers." Jeez, Ian!!!!! Let me get through this one first.

Thanks for all your support and yes I will continue to post - probably not daily though :) It's so nice to be home.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure he will come around soon to liking cats, to be honest I am a little bit scared of cats too, it eased off recently when i went to my motherinlaws wedding and she had a poorly cat who took a shine to me and sat on me a lot, so i have kind of been won over, although its a bit freaky when they get comfy by sticking their sharp claws in your thigh, might take me a while to get used to that side of cats. Congrats on completing your long and exciting journey to thailand, Gem x

6/21/2007 3:16 AM  
Blogger April said...

Hannah,
So great that the four of you are finally together again!! Congratulations one more time on your family. I am so happy for you! If it makes you feel any better, Gabriel is already asking when he gets a baby brother and Gracie isn't even here yet. Yikes!! Get some rest!!
Hugs, April

6/21/2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger raych said...

Wow. I just realized that this was your 'adoption' blog, and now the process is over! I feel like I've just finished a book that I've been reading for a year! Keep posting, Hannah. We all want to know how Jesse is adjusting, what he thinks of America, how Ian is doing, and most importantly, all about YOU!

6/21/2007 1:07 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good for you guys!. Tammy and I are soo happy for you. You've got to break out the I'm the big brother, I'm the little brother T-shirts!

We've been on the trip with you through his blog. Thank you for sharing.

Congrats!

6/21/2007 1:07 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Glad you're home, and thanks for sharing along the way. I hope you guys can come out for the 10 yr reunion @ Beloit next year. I can't wait to see Ian as a big boy, and to get to meet Jesse for the first time.

**HUG!!**

Serena

6/21/2007 7:56 PM  
Blogger Robin and Kyle said...

Congratulations Hannah and Sam! We're super happy for you guys. We'd love to meet you all in person - if you're ever headed up to Madison to see the Thai pavilion, let us know. It's in a beautiful park that'd be fun to picnic in, or we know a great Thai restaurant as well. =)
Robin and Kyle

6/23/2007 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home