The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Sunday, July 30, 2006

No words

There are no words I have to properly describe the emotions I felt last night. Sam and I finally worked up the courage to watch a documentary sent to us from our agency. A short movie made by one of the family during their visit in Thailand while going through the adoption process with the Thai Red Cross. We received it last Tuesday but it has taken me that long to really decide to watch it. I knew it would be powerful and it was. But it was also reassuring and heart breaking all at the same time. The documentary is about 15 minutes - made with a combination of live footage, still photos, and word graphics. It was made several years ago, so at least I wasn't searching the faces wondering about the children and which one might be mine. That would have been too much for me to handle and I probably never would have watch it.

As it was, it was hard to even imagine my child there - not because it was awful or miserable but just because I know my child it out there without me. If anything the footage made me feel better about not being there for him. All the children looked happy and very healthy. None of those rocking children or vacant stares. There was even some shots of a worker helping a baby learn to walk!!!!! There were shots of lunch (with plenty of extras around in case the children wanted more, I assume), a celebration that included what looked to be a birthday cake, and a toy room full of colorful toys of all sorts. There is even a climbing jungle gym in the court yard where the children play. I was brought to tears not only thinking about our son living there, but how lucky he is having found his way to the TRC instead of a smaller less fortunate orphanage. I'm sure I'll watch the video again - when times get hard or the waiting is making me crazy because overall it filled me a feeling of hope and goodness knowing my child is being taken care of.

2 Comments:

Blogger raych said...

i'm another one of those 'strangers in the midst.' i've never read random blogs before, but i came upon one called 'bringing desta home' about a family's attempts to adopt a 10-year-old girl from ethiopia. this one struck me, because the girl is HIV+. i found yours while looking for my friend hannah's blog, and decided to browse it because a) adoption may one day be in my future; b) reading 'bringing desta home' made me interested in the subject, and c) i am currently living in thailand, working at a tiny orphanage for HIV+ children. it delights my heart that you are adopting from this country, and i am commenting to add my encouragement. with the sex trade, there is such a high incidence of HIV+ women, and of children born to those women who may or may not be infected, but who's parents are dead shortly after their birth. i know it doesn't seem like it, what with the wait and all, but orphans are many, and the need is great. i pray God's blessing on your 'adoption option,' and know that He will bear you up under the strain. feel free to check out my blog about my amazing thailand adventure.
God bless you for your courage, Hannah.

8/09/2006 3:41 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Thanks so much for commenting :) And I'm always in need of "friends" in Thailand.
Thanks for all the work you are doing for these wonderful children!!!!!
-Hannah

8/09/2006 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home