The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Week one

Today we've been home a week and I think the brotherly love honeymoon period is wearing off. Ian had a rough day today and when I tried to give him snuggles Jesse would come over and shriek loudly in protest. hmmmm - I guess this is normal and I should be happy things are settling in. We have ventured out a few times - but I've broken one of my own rules by allowing my mother to tag along and spend some time at the house. At first it was an accident, she came over while Jesse was sleeping to visit Ian but then nap was over and Ian wouldn't allow her to leave (he's very attached to his Bubbie). So began my downward spiral. I was too nervous to take them to the mall by myself so Mom came along.....I know there is nothing wrong with this decision - my mom spends a lot of time over at the house and is our primary babysitter, so her getting to know Jesse and vice versa is a good thing. I just feel bad I wasn't able to uphold the standards I set upon myself - I feel like I failed in my transition from mother-of-one-at-a-time to mother-of-two. But what's done is done.....

Jesse had his first doctor's appointment and I was beaming with pride when the doctor seemed to impressed with his development and growth. I had little to do with any of it - but it made me feel safe and secure in knowing he was so well taken care of at the TRC. Tomorrow he has his blood taken for some tests - I'm not looking forward to that!

Today I did venture out with the alone - to Ian's t-ball class. I think it might be a little soon to take him to crowded public places. Once Jesse felt comfortable with his surroundings he thought it was funny to walk around in circles. Sometimes I'd say "Come back to Mommy" and he'd just keep going. He knows he's Jesse - which is great. Not quite sure he knows yet what Mommy means and that I'm the only one he has. Any suggestions about when this time of attachment might take place - I'm really kinda clueless about it.

Oh - and Andrea, I've updated my profile so you'll find that information there.

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Hannah,
I responded to your comment on my blog so pop by when you get a chance!
Please be patient with yourself!! You are doing a great job and the expectations that you had may shift b/c of real life and that is OKAY!!! Don't be so hard on yourself. Jesse is going to adapt and transition according to the rythym of your family. We are pretty fast paced ourselves and while I "intend" on keeping a low profile for a while I also know that life will happen and must go on. I think as far as the attaching goes, it will take time and even more time. Just enjoy this time that he is little. There is my two cents and I have yet to have the same experience:) I will posting the same worries you are in a few weeks, please remind me how sane I sound right now:)
Hugs, April

6/27/2007 9:00 PM  
Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Hi Hannah,
Well I'm not a parent of any children yet so not qualified to give 'advice' but I'd liked to try and help :) I read quite a few blogs of adoptive parents of children from other countries who are quite helpful in talking about their attachment experiences - I can pass on links if you like as they are not all on my blog. We are also trying to prepare by reading reccommended books on the subject, like the one I posted about recently. That book talks about the signs to look for for healthy and unhealthy attachment. I have also found really helpful information by doing searches on the web. I'm sure you have already done all of these things but it might just encourage you to continue doing what you are doing. But I also wanted to say that it sounds like you are doing well - he sounds happy and confident and you have only been back for a matter of days anyway!

6/28/2007 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hannah,

I would not worry about breaking your own rule.

How long do you think you were going to be able to keep Mom away. If anything it might be good to have her there.

Does Andrea have any suggestions? Would contacting the state about a counsler that is trained in adjustment from adoption maybe be helpful. Someone to come to the house and work with all of you as a group? Just a suggestion.

there is nothing wrong with you. you are braver then i would ever be. And besides what country would release achild to me and David.

I love you. Stay strong

6/28/2007 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home