The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Friday, November 30, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I can't even believe what a year we've had. We spent Thanksgiving with my sister in Ohio, and it's the same place I was last year. Now, I have a confession of sorts - I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings by coming clean....but last November we were in a really dark place. We had expected our referral in October and that didn't happen - when it still hadn't arrived in November I was pretty depressed. Our agency representative felt bad and when she delivered the news that it would be another 6 weeks until the referral, I thought I was going to lose it. Andrea, our WACAP angel, reached into her heart and gave us the most precious gift last Thanksgiving...our first picture of Jesse. We didn't tell anyone - and even lied about it when we finally did share his picture, but it was too precious and we didn't want Andrea to get in trouble. I was sitting there at my sister's house remembering a year ago, how I sat at her computer and for the first time saw my son. It was a gorgeous Thanksgiving weekend, perfect weather, and this perfect little present emailed to us from across the country. I thought about that as I watched Jesse run around in circles chasing the dog, watch him gobble up his first Thanksgiving dinner (which he loved), and as we sat and had our first family-of-4 holiday picture taken (to be seen later on our holiday cards).....what a year we've had. I have so much to be thankful for - sometimes I can't believe I'm really this lucky.

We are now gearing up for a few really big events. 1) Hanukkah starts on Tuesday night. Another first for Jesse. I know he's going to love the candles and the presents - and the potato latkes :) 2) Jesse's adoption is right on track for mid-December finalization. Our social worker was here for her last home visit and it was bittersweet. It's hard to believe we are so close to being "official" and 3) Christmas Eve with my in-laws. It's a fun festive evening with presents, a huge dinner and lots of laughing. Even though we don't really celebrate Christmas it is a family tradition to go and spend time together. Jesse will love seeing the big Christmas tree and all the lights.

I'm glad things are picking up and busy-ness is setting in. I've been feeling very overwhelmed emotionally lately. A lot of little things piling up in my head and it's been hard to shake. I have a plan in my head but it's been hard to execute everything I'd like to do...plus there are just things that can't be controlled. Sorry, I don't mean to be mysterious - I'm just not comfortable writing about specifics on the blog. But the holiday season makes me happy - I love the shopping, the wrapping, the "baking" (I don't really bake but I manage to put together a decent gift plate for friends), the decorations, and all the stuff that most people find stressful. So, hopefully for the next month or so I can work my way out of a funk and remember all the wonderful things I have in my life to enjoy and smile about.

1 Comments:

Blogger chaniemom said...

Now we're sitting here this Thanksgiving waiting and waiting for our "referral", which seems strange since we already "picked out" our daughter from the waiting children list last year. It seems unfair not just to us, but especially to her to make her wait so long. Just have to trust in God's perfect timing. Sure is hard, sometimes!

12/04/2007 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home