The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hello my friend

Hello my blog, my old buddy. I've been very neglectful. Mostly because I'm always so aware of what I write on here will be read by other people. When things get bad or something is going on inside my head, I think about writing it down....but then I get self conscious. A friend, I'll call her Swifty, has the most amazing blog. She pours out her feelings and her emotions for everyone to see. It's an honor to read it. So, why can't I do it?

I think it's because I'm afraid of a few things. Afraid of hurting someone's feelings...afraid of admitting I'm selfish and possible immature....afraid of being judged.

So while I grappled with the idea of getting more personal on this thing - I will fill everyone in on other stuff.

This Summer has been hard. I got very used to having some alone time during the week when the kids were in school and to have that taken away was an adjustment. I was hoping to pick up some hours at the Y doing office work, but that never happened - so cash flow has been a bit stressful since I have been unsuccessful in curbing some of my spending habits. I'm still thinking about venturing out in the real world and looking for work, but I enjoy the Y. I like the people and the benefits - I'm just trying to figure out where I may fit in now. So far there have been no plans made for Fall hours - so everything is up in the air still. The other problem with venturing out is child care. I don't think people are very open to hiring someone who is available from 9:30-noon on Tues and Thurs. :P

I had a very nice meeting with a wedding planner who seemed really excited about my personalized greeting cards. So far nothing. I know they are not the cup-of-tea for everyone but I think I could make some cute shower invites or save-the-date cards.....any one interested? I'll give you a good deal! So, do I try to market on my own and really start this thing? How do I get started? Would people be interested? I did order some business cards, design a logo, and set up a price list......it was a really fun week thinking that all this was about to take off. Feels kinda silly now.

Ian and I are butting heads. I want to teach him and guide him through life. He thinks he knows all there is to know. He's constantly talking back, not listening to instructions, and being plain snotty! I'm getting worn very thin which makes me crabby and snappy and we end up going in circles! It's no fun at all. He's growing up so fast and I know there will soon be a time he won't listen to me at ALL - I was just hoping it wouldn't be as early as 6 years old!

It hasn't been all bad. Ian joined the Y swim team and competed all summer. He's got a scrapbook full of ribbons already and really loves it. He's made friends (some good some bad) and is looking forward to swimming in the Fall/Winter/Spring season as well. It's a big commitment with practices but I think it's really good for him. He's so much more proud of himself now than he was during his soccer seasons. He can see the results and even if he doesn't win the race - he may still have beaten his old times which makes him happy.

Jesse is a character. He loves to listen to books and both boys completed the library's summer reading program. He found out today he gets to meet his favorite author, Todd Parr, at a mall in a few weeks. We love Todd books and he was beaming from ear to ear with the idea of getting his autograph.

I find myself getting lonely at night. I want to call up some friends and go to dinner or to the mall. But I feel I don't have anyone to call. I feel like I'm the only one who NEEDS to escape and all the other people in the world are holding on just fine. Sometimes I think I'm about to fall off!

After spilling my guts (or most of them) I feel I should give you something cute and fuzzy to hold onto....so here are my children :) with my niece and nephew during out visit in Ohio.


6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Hannah,

I was thinking for your wedding cards, maybe you could try and sell them on Etsy.com. i haven't ever sold anything on it, since i'm not particularly crafty, but i have bought things on it-mostly screen prints, but i know people also sell custom stationary. It's free and I think it is easy to set up, and then you'd have your stuff out there. Just an idea!

Chris

7/30/2009 8:24 PM  
Blogger Robin and Kyle said...

Hannah,
Etsy is indeed easy to sell things on. It's very cheap to list things (20 cents? plus a percentage of a final sale). The problem might be getting noticed amidst all the other sellers in your category. The category I sell in is pretty small - I'm not sure how big yours would be. I think networking with local business people is a great idea. Your stuff is so cute - if I ever had time or energy to throw a party, I'd hire you for sure! =)

Hugs to you. I feel that way sometimes, too. I'm about to lose my job - I'm half excited about being home with T and half terrified I'll hate not having an escape.

7/31/2009 7:49 AM  
Blogger Maci Miller said...

HI, Hannah - was going to tell you about Etsy, but I see Robin did already. It's really a great site to buy and sell home made stuff.

I think it's normal to feel the way you do and everyone has those moments. I gush quite a bit on my blog and share the ups and downs cause it's going to be printed into a book someday for my daughter. I want her to know how we felt and how it was a joy but also how hard it was to wait for her. Sometimes I write a LOT, and then go, woa, maybe I am saying too much or people will think this or that. But the thing is though, it's YOUR blog. You should feel free to write whatever you want to. Use it as a family journal, a creative outlet, or a place to release your worries or tensions. I find most of time that I get a lot of support from the adoption community and I'm sure you will too!
All the best,
Jen

8/02/2009 12:51 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Thanks again for all the support. I've thought about Etsy but because I design for the client I think it might be hard to sell. I know I could come up with products that would work but at the moment I'm not doing that kind of design work.

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about your job. What's going on?

8/04/2009 11:31 PM  
Blogger Ann and Bryan said...

I have several friends who come to my house without the kids for a sanctuary. I think that's a normal feeling...to want to get away and have some free time to yourself. Don't beat yourself up about wanting that. Is there any respite care in your area adoption network? I've heard of those...might help. Otherwise, I find eating chocolate and praying helps too.

8/05/2009 9:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I saw on an older post on your blog that you collect mice. I do too. :) They are so cute ... I like lil pewter, ceramic, crystal ones, Sylvanian and Maple Town mice, as well as handmade ones. I don't have that many at the moment, but if you want to see some of the ones I've made you can look on my blog. :)
Megan

8/09/2009 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home