The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Monday, August 10, 2009

Broken record

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but...once again I was reminded how lucky we are to have the Thai Red Cross as part of Jesse's adoption story. And how grateful we are to his birth mother for having a plan and being so caring and thoughtful.

The other day at the park I got into a conversation about how my friend thinks Ian looks like Sam. I don't see it a obviously as some genetic offspring that I know - sometimes the child looks like a photocopy of their parent. I've always thought Ian was a good mix and just looked like Ian. I noticed Jesse getting a little squirrelly when the conversation branched off to other friends of ours. I just looked at him and said "And who does Jesse look like?". There was a slight pause, since this hasn't come up in awhile, but after some guidance he said his birth mother's name. A little light went off in his head and all of sudden we was part of the conversation. So many adoptees don't have information much less pictures of their birth families. It's amazing to be able to include him and reassure him he didn't drop from the sky...he has a history and a lineage that is genetically related to him.

I saw a good movie over the weekend with some girlfriends....Julie&Julia. It's about a blogger who cooks her way through Julia Childs' cookbook. It also told the story of how Julia Child became the chef she was. It was a great story and very entertaining. I couldn't help but think about all those people who followed my blog and were out there in cyberspace who have now become my friends. I don't think anyone will be making a movie out of this old blog of mine, but I think I served a good purpose by telling my story and helping others navigate through theirs. My aunt thinks it would make a good book....we'll see :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin and Kyle said...

That's really awesome that you were able to pull Jesse into the conversation too. My in-laws LOVE to expound (for hours?) on who in the family resembles who. I cringe when I mentally fast-forward a few years and see T left out of these (ridiculously boring but probably painful for him) conversations.

If you write a book I'm gonna read it. =)

8/10/2009 11:06 PM  
Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Me too, I wanna read it too =)
I didn't post on our last post yet because I was going to email you first, but you've posted again already! I'm going to try to get that movie out over here it sounds really interesting. Have you got any more movie reccommendations.

8/11/2009 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home