The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Brotherly love

I'm so pleased with the relationship the is forging between Ian and Jesse. It is very clear they care a great deal for each other. I knew Ian would be attached quickly - after all we've been talking about his brother for over 1.5 years. But Jesse's taking to Ian surprises me a little. If Ian is sitting on the floor, Jesse with often just go up and give him a hug. A little squeeze for a second or two and then he's off again (of course I never have my camera ready at the right moments, and I've failed at recreating the affection for the camera). They are brothers already and it warms my heart to see.

I've been meaning to write about some of the wonderful strides Jesse has made since being home - I'm so proud. Before he was drinking strictly from a bottle while laying in a crib - so he never lifted his arms or head to drink anything. Since being home he's mastering the beginning sippy cups and now fully tilts his head back to drink (so he can drink while sitting in his booster seat). Before coming home I'm not sure how much climbing opportunities he had, but he's already mastered climbing into Ian's small arm chair, and figuring out how to turn around and sit. And yesterday he came over to my on the couch, lifted his arms, and very clearly said "up" - my jaw dropped and Ian screamed "he talked!" He's learning so fast and being so brave about his new life. I'm a super proud mom about both my boys! :)

Next week I'm going to invite a friend over for a mini playdate. Simon is only 2 weeks younger than Jesse - they will be best friends I think :). I'm going to test how he reacts and I know that if anything goes haywire my friend, Maria, won't be offended if I shoo her out of the house. It's a perfect test. I know he'll do great - he seems to really enjoy being around other kids (which seems obvious from being in the orphanage setting) and it'll be good for him.

I also feel it's time to start introducing him to some family members. So I'm going to allow some people to start coming over and hanging out on the couch. We'll go from there and if this go well - bonus. If not, I'll stop having people over. I feel comfortable with this plan of action and I feel I have to start somewhere. Right?

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Hannah,
It sounds like the boys are going to grow to be best of friends. It must warm your heart to see.
We had our friends daughter (she's Gracie's age and they needed a break b/c of a new baby) over today for a few hours and all my son did was smack her in the face with his knight's shield. This was after rubbing sand on her face in the sanbox two days ago. Hmmm.... Should I be worried? Ha, ha!!
It sounds like you are taking things nice and slow. I do agree with attachment books that suggest that you don't allow anyone else to hold or feed the kids for at least six weeks. That's one thing I know we will stick to (fingers crossed!!) but I think that every family and child is different and can handle different situations. It will be really nice to begin to introduce Jesse to family and especially for Ian to show off what a wonderful big brother he is!!!
If it makes you feel better, we get home Aug 1st and my parents are coming mid September and will stay with us for two weeks. I'm a bit nervous but can't imagine them not being here to meet their new granddaughter. At the end of August my cousin and his family are coming up from LA although we have asked that they stay in a hotel b/c it's so close to us being home.
It sounds like you and Sam are enjoying the transition. I'm so happy for you guys, you've really waited so long for Jesse.
I can't wait to see more pictures soon!!
Hugs, April

7/01/2007 12:06 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

We are also strictly sticking to the no holding or feeding rule - not sure how long but definately for a while longer.

7/01/2007 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home