The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

An amazing day

Yesterday was a truly amazing day with a few wonderful instances that I will hold in my heart forever. First, Jesse woke up from his nap and when I went into the room and said hi, he smiled a big toothy grin. For no other reason except he saw me! It was an amazing feeling and the first time this had happened - sure he's smiled before when tickled, or tossed, or when we were being silly and playing...but never just because he saw me. It was great, really great.

The second event was celebrating the 4th of July (a day early) with going to the fireworks. Ever since I was little I marveled in the magic of things...rainbows, stars, fireflies, Pegasus (okay not real but still magical), and fireworks. They always seemed so magical to me and special, I loved going to the riverfront (in the town I lived in when I was little) and setting up the blanket and seeing all my friends and then watching the giant explosion of lights. My favorites are the ones that twinkle and the purple ones (I'm sure no surprise to anyone who knows me)......last night I got to see the magic through the eyes of my boys! Ever since 9/11 I have not been a fan of crowded places, so we have not actually been TO the fireworks for several years. I just couldn't pass up a chance of going with good friends to share in the first 4th celebrations for Jesse and Simon (my friends' son). And technically with Ian because he's never been to a full fireworks show...anyway....the darkness finally came and the show started. Ian was completely taken by it and sat with his mouth open for the first several explosions. He thought it was so cool and smiled ear to ear - he was so excited when he saw a red one or a green one. Jesse wasn't as captivated but he'd watch and toddle around the blanket and watch some more. When a big boom came he'd raise his hands and shriek with glee. At the end of it all, Jesse was sitting on Sam's lap with a huge grin on his face and with no prompting started to clap....he felt the magic. They both did.

It was a great family night out. The perfect way to celebrate the USA and in a way Jesse coming home. My friend took some pictures, which I'll load when I get them. It was just a great day - I've babbled on about but I really never want to forget it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you should never never forget. Cherish every moment.

Dad

7/05/2007 10:19 AM  
Blogger April said...

Hannah,
What an amazing day you had!! Truly a joyful moment for you all. So glad to hear that all is going well-you encourage me daily about our upcoming trip.
Have a great day:)
April

7/05/2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger urghiggi said...

Hi Hannah, glad it's all going well -- sounds as though you are really enjoying having your son after all those months of waiting (boy, do I know that feeling).

You make me nostalgic for the whole adoption thing. Wish I were young and well-heeled enough to do it again, but that ship has sailed ... it will have to be other kinds of gratification for me ... :-)

Really happy for all of you. Can't wait to see the new guy. Will have to try to cook up something for the Chicago families, maybe before summer is over.

Julie H

7/05/2007 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home