The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Friday, August 10, 2007

Goings on

Another crazy week has flown by..although not really fast enough at times. We've been really busy running around during the day. My mom had her knee surgery and has been recovering at a live-in rehab center. Now, my mom and I are close.....but her feels toward Ian are a little hard to describe. She waited for him as long as I did, through all our treatments....all the ups and downs of the pregnancy....and right there when he was born - she's been through it all. Nothing against my nieces and nephew but they don't live locally (so it's a little different). She can hardly stand not seeming him for more than 2 days in a row, so we've been visiting her nearly every day. It was also important to her that Jesse not forget her, and he not lose this time of bonding with her. Well, finally today she got to go home!!!! Yippy - now at least we can visit in the comfort of her home. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was pretty stressful taking them to visit her at "the home". I was also so worried they were being too loud, too disruptive, too crazy....I'd walk in and my stress level would go through the roof - and they'd just want to be boys and play around. Ian got yelled at a lot (some rightfully so, others probably me over reacting...but no mother wants her kids talked about behind her back - especially if the talk is bad) - I tried to keep a pretty tight reign on them. But that's over.....

I've also been just having a hard week in general. I just finished this really great book - apparently I'm the last person on the planet to read it, "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. Now, normally I'm very snobby about what I read and books that have the author's name larger than the title....I tend to stay clear of those. I'm a hard core fiction fan - stuff from off the beaten path, authors with one or two titles or ones that have proven great writers (in case anyone cares, I love Gloria Naylor and Amy Hempel). (I also tend to read a lot of non-fiction but that's a passion for another entry). Anyway.....this book has gotten me thinking about the person I once thought I'd be. I once thought I had great stories to tell - tales to weave into the hearts of America. I'd win awards and (most importantly) be required reading in some high school because of my wit and expert characterization. Guess what....didn't happen. I don't really have a point behind this except my 10 year college reunion is coming up next year and that combined with reading this book has made me feel very small.

Speaking of small....I have to just move on and post something cute or else I'll never get to sleep tonight. We received the "biggest" gift I've ever seen...literally

Yes - this is both Ian and Jesse inside the wonderful tote bag sent to us by my cousin's family. Now I know Ian looks like a giant head but he really is a normal sized boy, at around 41 inches tall. :) And Jesse only looks unhappy because we was having so much fun prior to this swimming around inside the bag by himself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the book tip, i could do with a new book.

Very cute pictures, just the kind when they start bringing girlfriends around the house in years to come you will have to proudly show off, along which much arrrrhhhhhhs werent they cute. :) Gem x

8/11/2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger April said...

hannah, love the pics! glad to hear that your mom is home and more comfortable I'm sure! I have to tell you that Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite author's and just gets better as she goes along. Her latest book Nineteen Minutes really struck me-especially as a parent. I think you would love it!
April

8/13/2007 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute!

8/15/2007 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home