The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Today

Today I voted in Super Tuesday - if you're state is part of Super Tuesday I encourage you all to get out there and VOTE!!!!

Today is also the 6th anniversary of when my Bubbie (Grandmother) passed away. I think of her often, not just today. I remember her voice and how she used to say "Hannah Bird!" and shake her head at my mischievous ways. I remember being little and playing in the laundry room while she put in/took out a load (she had this old plastic Barbie type army airplane - it was the strangest most wonderful toy), I remember meeting her in the airport when she came to visit us (and the time I was finally taller than she was), I remember the way she would pick my crab apart because my sorry-midwestern butt was too freaked out, I remember how she sang songs to us when we were going to sleep, I remember her snuggles, and I remember how her room smelled. There are so many memories.....

I wish she could have met my boys, she would have loved them both so much. As much as I sometimes have the urge to move away, I know I never could take Ian and Jesse away from their Bubbie. I'm really glad they will have her close by to create to many happy memories with.

So here are some fun facts about my Bubbie (and her family):
  • Bubbie and her sister (my Aunt Min) married two brothers and lived in one big house for most of their lives - raising their families side by side.
  • Bubbie had 2 children, a set of boy/girl twins (my mom and my Uncle George).
  • Bubbie used to volunteer at a Senior Center (even though she was older than some of the residents) :)
  • A scene from the John Water's movie "Cry Baby" was filmed in Bubbie's house.
  • Bubbie had a sweet tooth and liked Hershey Kisses
I love you and miss you, Bubbie!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed how much super tuesday has dominated aussie news recently too, and obviously more so today. I know it is important as a worldwide effect depending on the final outcome, but it is strange that aussie media regularily devotes more time to US politics that Aus politics (actually thats a lie more time is being devoted to Britney Spears at the moment, even stranger :))
Whats a Hershey Kisses?
Your granny sounded lovely, I hope I can give my future grandkids (long way off I know) similar warm amazing memories.

2/06/2008 5:01 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

don't you guys have Hershey's Chocolate Bars? Probably not with Cadbury, huh? Hershey Kisses are....well you should just look them up because they are hard to describe - basically individually wrapped chocolates :) But they are so much more than that :)

2/06/2008 8:31 AM  
Blogger TracyMcGal said...

Aren't grandparents so important? I love the fact that she lived w/ her sister. It's like you always have someone there for you.

OK, can't imagine life w/out Kisses. When I was growing up I always got a huge kiss for Valentines. Do you remember those? They weighed like a pound!!

Gem - I am so tired of hearing about Britney Spears! Who cares? She obviously needs serious help and it's so sad. It proves that money and fame can't bring you happiness.

2/06/2008 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home