The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Sunday, August 23, 2009

The end of an era

And I thought last year was bad.....

Tomorrow Ian will start 1st grade. I can't believe he's old enough to be a big kid, staying in school all day, hanging out on the playground, and eating hot lunch. I know people who have kids starting high school.....what the hell is that like? I don't even want to think about it. It's hard to imagine I will no longer be the one person who sees Ian for most of his day. Now his teacher will see him more than me - she will be his great influence..... :(

I will no longer have quiet afternoons, while Jesse is sleeping, listening to Ian play with his legos or reading books to him on the couch. We will no longer have those alone moments when I still look into his eyes and see my baby - and he sees me as the one to protect him. I knew the transition would hard on Jesse - he always wants to be by Ian's side. But I didn't realize how much this was going to effect me. Will parenting be as much fun? Am I going to lose my connection?

I can't believe how much I'm going to miss him. The house will seem so quiet with just me and Jesse. I hate losing control - not knowing what's going on or what's going to happen.

The thing is I know what's happening. My baby is growing into a boy who will one day turn into a man......

4 Comments:

Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Oh I can just imagine how hard it would be - I don't even want to think about it! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Do you walk him to school or does he go on a bus?

8/23/2009 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Hannah,

I understand. Only I went through it when Faren was 18 months old and I had to leave her at Staceys.

It was not the same leaving her with David.

I am sure next year it will still feel different when I send her off to Kindergarten.

I love you
Donna

8/23/2009 7:04 PM  
Blogger Sue May said...

Hi Hannah
this is Sue From Qld Aust I know you through the thailand adopt yahoo group. I was just reading some of your blog and thinking how well you express what went through my mind last year when our youngest Jumbo-Dylan started school.

It is so reassuring when you read someone elses thoughts and think
I have only recently started our blog so feel free to have a look at the May family we are on a farm in central Qld about 8hrs north of Brisbane. We have 2 boys Jarryd 10 and Jumbo-Dylan 6 both from thailand and are awaiting for sisters to complete our family.

the address is http://simplywaitingforabbeyandgeorgia.blogspot.com

Cheers
Sue

9/16/2009 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/22/2009 4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home