The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The favorite child

I was sitting across from the lunch table looking at my two boys as they devoured their french fires and eyed the large playing apparatus next to them. And I just smiled. It's not that they were being quiet or that they were being good - it's not that we were enjoying a lunch out, just the 3 of us....it was that I figured out that favorite child thing.

It's not that I like one of my boys more than the other. It's not that I would rescue one over the other....it's that the core of my love from them is completely different therefore giving me completely different emotions when I look at each. So it's not that one is my favorite - but there is a definite difference in the way I feel about them - although both ending with extreme love and devotion.

I look at Ian and can't believe I did that. He's cute, friendly, smart, whiny, athletic, polite....a real human being. One that started out so small and he exists because of me. He's a pure mix of me and Sam....the wonderment of it all still amazes me (although how to create a baby is long behind me!). I understand the fundamentals of baby-making but to see it grow and thrive and continue....it's pure magic.

I look at Jesse and can't believe he gets to be mine. For forever, I get to claim this kid as my son - my family! He's funny, smart, cute, strong, and over all amazing. Somewhere in the world something brought us together - thousands of miles from start to finish and this little man was placed in MY arms! How does that happen?! It too is magic.

My heart was filled with love and pride as I sat and watched those mouths stuffed with french fries. These are my guys! It was a really good mom moment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kristi said...

Great Post! I too have one bio and one adopted kiddo and it's amazing how different they are, how different I feel about them, etc. You did an excellent job articulating this! Thank you.

8/17/2009 2:23 PM  
Blogger hirallysantiago@gmail.com said...

BEAUTIFUL...and completely understand!!

12/22/2009 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home