The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day


I'm not a huge fan of mother's day. It's not a fun holiday is you don't physically have a child in your life - and I don't believe in celebrating people just one day a year. I do however, possibly contradicting myself, believe that the first mother's day with your child is very special and should be celebrated. This was the first mother's day I held Jesse in my arms, received morning kisses, and showed him off to the world as mine. All in all it was a calm but nice day. I really do feel like my family is complete.

Today, Jesse and I also spent some time talking about his birth mother. I celebrate her every time I look at him, but felt the need to vocalize it with him today. We looked at her picture, talked about how he grew in her tummy, and what a wonderful person she is. I hope, if they celebrate Mother's Day in Thailand that she had a wonderful day with her son (and had happy thoughts of the son we share). Here is a picture of Jesse kissing his birth mother's picture.


I would like to wish every woman out there who loves a child a Happy Mother's Day. There are so many ways to mother, be it parenting, expecting, waiting, co-parenting, wanting, or simply loving children in your life and helping them grow. I hope next Mother's Day is the one when you can celebrate having your child in your arms, if that's what your heart is aching for.

4 Comments:

Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Happy First Mother's Day Hannah. I'd love to talk to you about how you talk to Jesse about his birth Mum. We haven't bought that up yet as there has been so much else happening and he has never seen a photo of her before and has never heard of her either. As far as he is concerned, his foster mother was his mother - so I am really the 3rd Mum. Just after he came with us, we showed him photos of his foster mother to calm him but it had the opposite effect so we haven't talked about her since.

Before we travelled we planned to talk openly about every aspect of his adoption but as the trip didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped, and he wasn't talking and seems to have a limited understanding of some things we haven't talked about it yet. Like I said, I should talk to you about it soon. When I have a chance!

Love Andrea xxx

5/13/2008 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah, happy belated mothers day to you too!! And by the way in Thailand as we found out mothers day is celebrated on the Queen's birthday which happens in August but right now the exact day is eluding me - I'm sure you can google it. And obviously father's day is the King's birthday which happens in December.

I plan on celebrating them since that is what our thai friends here do and hey if I can get out of the deal for me then even better!!! :)

Hirally

5/25/2008 4:21 PM  
Blogger JuJu - said...

Oh wow - your family is beautiful:_ two cute little guys!
We have a Thai princess named Abby Grace:)

We do not know very many families with children from Thailand - so we are trying to network and gather a group of families and kids that can share cultural things and a Thai heritage:)

Also - we have an annual gathering of adoptive familes. we get together and celebrate what adoptions mans to our families and have a BLAST! The kids play and it is a beautiful thing to see:)

we call it Guatoberfest - but it is open to ALL familes that have adopted internationally or domestically.

I would love to hear all about your adoption journey and get to know you and your family:)

Julia McKenzie:)

5/27/2008 9:29 AM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

That's a very sweet post, Hannah.
And it reminds me that next Mother's Day will be my first as a mom of two precious girls.
What fun!

5/31/2008 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home