The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Monday, March 10, 2008

The Magic of "2"

I don't know if anyone can explain the mysterious age 2. Does anyone know the answers of what's so special about 2? It's like a magical transformation happens between the time they go to sleep and are 23 months old and wake up at 24 months old. Mood swings, rapid onset of speech (and sassy-ness), temper tantrums, unprovoked silly-ness (see picture to follow), and the immediate urge to be a big boy combined with the sudden inability to walk anywhere on his own. It's quite amazing to witness when I can take the time to step back and see the "2s" grabbing hold of my son. His newest obsession is Ian's bed. Ian sleeps in a twin and Jesse has always loved playing on the bed but now he insists on going to sleep in Ian's bed. Last night he was kicking and screaming about not wanting to go to sleep in his crib, yelling out "Ian's bed, Ian's bed" - so I tucked him in and left......3 minutes later he was fast asleep. Today for nap - same thing, kicking screaming, saying "Ian's bed" - so I tucked him in gave him his Snook and Elmo dolls and left......not a peep out of him and 5 minutes later when I checked on him - fast asleep. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to switch to a "big boy bed". Ian didn't move from the crib until he was nearly 3 - and that was because he was getting too big.

I know our little buddy, Simon, is already in a bed (a toddler bed) but Jesse would move straight into a full height twin.....he seems so small. They say second children move faster through the milestones, and I can see that. Jesse wants to be/do/have everything the same as Ian. I've never seen such a connection between siblings like that. I'm pretty sure at this age my sister and I were already fighting and not getting along (much better now though, right Donna). :)

So here's Jesse' first major bought of sillies after turning 2. We were sitting at the table eating our breakfast for dinner (eggs and toast and ham)...when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see this:

Jesse thought it was the funniest thing in the world to simply put his buttered toast, buttered side down of course, on his head and laugh uncontrollably. We of course laughed (our first mistake) and then tried to convince him not to do it again. He's always been prone to rubbing food on his head (Olive Garden bread sticks being on of his favorites) but never for the shear fun of it - he's never laughed about it before, but rather just did it. This was an act of thoughtful comedy. :) What am I going to do with him?

2 Comments:

Blogger chaniemom said...

How cute! I have no wisdom to share about two year olds. I teach three and four year olds all day. They can be really silly, too. But, I've yet to see them put their food on their heads. Some are extremely whiny and some very physically aggressive. But, most are pleasantly eagerly learning and growing. It's especially fun to watch them play teacher and pretend to be me.

3/14/2008 7:46 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

I think it's awesome he's discovering his sense of humor. He'll probably grow out of it, 'though I have cats, not kids, so can't say for sure. :) He's awfully cute!

3/21/2008 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home