The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Friday, March 21, 2008

5 years ago today - Ian

It's hard to believe my baby turned 5 today! Where has the time gone and how did he get so big? 5 years ago today changed my life forever as I entered into being a mother. Ian was born at 6:18am weighing 5lbs 6oz. This morning at 6:18am he weighed in around 50lbs :) Although I spent most of his first day here heavily drugged and sleeping - I do distinctly remember the moment he was born and the first time I heard him cry. I remember holding him in my arms and thinking "how is this tiny thing going to grow into a real person?" Well, 5 years later it's hard to imagine he was actually that tiny thing at all. He's tall, athletic, smart, nice, fun, loving, and gentle - also he's loud, sassy, and rambunctious. Although at times, I feel overwhelmed by him I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Now that he's becoming a real little person - I think I'm starting to get an idea of who he's going to be. The type of guy in high school that everyone likes - not too popular but not unpopular either. Friends with everyone. In college (or not if he continues to hate the idea of going to college) the mildly involved, fun loving guy. Gets good grades but has fun doing it. I think he's going to make a positive difference in a lot of people's lives as he makes his way through his own.

Here's a little look at the then and now:

7 Comments:

Blogger Robin and Kyle said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Ian!!

3/22/2008 9:23 AM  
Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Happy 5th Birthday Ian! Lovely to read those 'Mum's thoughts' about her son, too.

3/22/2008 5:18 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Happy Birthday Ian! Thanks for sharing. We are getting all organised for our trip now- one month, one week and one day left to go!

3/22/2008 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
Gem x

3/23/2008 6:37 AM  
Blogger TracyMcGal said...

Happy Birthday, Ian! I loved this post. I am always scolding my children for growing! :) I want them to stay little. Enjoy every minute with him.
Tracy

3/25/2008 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ian & to mom too! I'm always amazed at how big my baby boy is now...it is amazing to think back and barely remember how tiny he use to be gosh and mine just turned 3!

Hirally

3/26/2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

Happy belated birthday!

4/11/2008 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home