The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Phase One - Confessions from a clutter-bug

Well, to those who have met me, lived with me, traveled with me, or spent any time around me - it's no secret I like stuff. I collect a billion things (which actually makes me the easiest person in the world to shop for) including pens, books, writing tablets, and trinkets - to name a few. I like souvenirs, magazines, catalogs, boxes, and a number of other material goods. Problem is - I don't have a large house and I don't have a lot of storage options. Therefore, my house always looks like a mess and cluttered. Every so many months I get frustrated, throw a hissy fit (yes, like a 2 year old) and vow to change my life......but then I pick up another pen, buy another stuffed animal, or another pair of shoes.

My New Year's resolution was to get organized, get clean, and purge unnecessary clutter from my life - imaging how much happier I would be, how much bigger my house will appear, and the total harmony the four of us would live in.......and I did mean it....but.....I didn't get very far. I promised myself to donate every time someone called for a pick-up, which we have done about 70% of the time. And I did do the research on storage units, layout options, and all things IKEA. (Which was really fun).....but.....I didn't get very far. Then in April we spent several days at my friend's house in Pittsburgh. She's my clutter-free hero! I left feeling jealous and full of anxiety about returning home.

Since April, we have been on a here-and-there cleaning spree. When we found the time we cleaned out the cupboards, donated unused toys, and old clothing. But it was slow going - until this past weekend!!!!!!! We have completed Phase One of our new lifestyle! Okay - this post will probably get long.... so I'm warning you, but I'll try to be concise.

First - the living room is now toy free. The back room (which used to be a spare room) is now the playroom. Here are the basics: Sam got rid of his old dresser and moved the 2 from the back room into our room. We got rid of the crib and moved the spare bed into the boys' room for Jesse's big boy bed! YES - JESSE'S IN A BIG BOY BED NOW!!!!!!! Then we moved all the toys from the living room into the back room. Now there are still random things hanging out here and there - and we might have to have a Phase One.Five this week, but mostly our huge first undertaking is done! I'm feeling very proud.

Ian is having his preschool graduation this Saturday and we are having a little lunch party here to celebrate - so more cleaning will done by this weekend. It's always good to have a deadline. And along with this physical change, I'm also undertaking some mental changes as well. I'm trying to control my need for stuff. I've decided that if we have too many toys then most people have too many toys and from now on I'm going to purchase fun gift cards for presents (like for ice cream, bowling, McDonald's, etc) and I'm hoping to pass the message along by Christmas/Hanukkah, so we will not be receiving "stuff" for the holidays. I've also decided that in order for the boys to have new toys - they will have to trade in their old ones. That way that things won't get out of control again.

I know most of you reading this (if you've made it this far) don't really care but I think I felt the need to write it down - a way to insure that I continue to follow-through with my plans and don't bail when things get hard. Thanks for "listening" :)

6 Comments:

Blogger raych said...

I'm just happy to hear how you're doing! Good luck with the clutter, I'm the same way.

Congrats to Jesse on the big-boy bed!

5/27/2008 10:55 PM  
Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Aahh, I feel refreshed just reading about it! Cleaning out stuff really does make you feel more in control. We only have 1 flaming cupboard in this 100 yr old house, so 'stuff' is a bit of a problem. Along with that 2 yr old that just moved in. =)

5/28/2008 3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Not an easy task

Love, Wendy

5/28/2008 9:10 AM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

We have a tiny house as well and keeping the clutter at bay is not easy.
I applaud you for the undertaking!
:-)

5/31/2008 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go - now that I'm staying home with the kids - I started doing some of that myself and it is huge and like you said it requires a change of mind!!! And expert organizer will be helpful too!

I like the idea for Christmas/Hanukkah - we are planning on doing a similar thing for our kids as they get older - mainly we plan on donating it and having them come and hand them out. It will be a good lesson on service, compassion and gratitude for what we have! GOOD for you!!!!

Hirally

6/07/2008 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will obey & congrats (you're only a couple months behind in my efforts of the same). It feels really good to sit down on something without having to clear a space first, and it feels good to cook when you don't have to clean the kitchen first! We'll have to keep eachother in check, but no white glove inspections please!

-sara

6/12/2008 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home