The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Monday, September 29, 2008

What an incredible weekend

There are few people on this planet that understand Beloit. Beloit as a place, as an adjective, and as an emotion. Beloit is magic. It's been 10 years since I went to school there, was part of the culture, and the pulse of campus.....and I've been back many times to walk around - hang out - simply be there. No matter how many changes they make to campus, how many professors come and go, Beloit will always feel like home. I made a very honest realization this weekend - no matter how different of a person I am, no matter how happy or sad, I never feel more like myself than when I'm on that campus. No matter who that self is - there is a certain peace that comes over me there.

Needless to say, my reunion was great. It was a mix of seeing people I always see and seeing people I haven't seen in 10 years. People I was close to and people I barely knew. We partied like it was 1998 and had a great time. I felt bad for dragging Sam and the boys (I was selfish and wanted to show them off) - they were bored and although very well behaved there just wasn't a lot for them to do. A soccer ball and a few Hot Wheels can only last so long. But they were all troopers and didn't complain one bit.

I laughed more than I can remember laughing in a long time. I forgot what it was like to hang out with a group of friends. Not like when I go to dinner with friends or to the mall - but really hang out with people who know you - who lived with you - and essentially grew up a little with you. I miss that community feeling - it was nice to feel it again.

Leaving made me feel a little sad. Not because coming back to my "real" life is horrible - I'm enjoying my life now, but leaving the feeling of being around people who understand you and are for you - and leaving a place that makes you feel like no other place on earth. It's hard to explain - it's just Beloit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

Wow- it sounds like you had an incredible time. It is great to hear you so happy =)

9/29/2008 10:26 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

I'm really sad I wasn't there; it never ceases to amaze me that, no matter how long I've been gone, no matter how long since I've seen someone from Beloit, as soon as we meet up, it's like we never left. I love that feeling, and I've never found anything like it. We became more than friends at Beloit, I think, we really became family.

I miss that feeling too.

10/09/2008 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home