The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Signed-sealed-delivered, well almost

The first official step of paperwork is being shipped off tomorrow. We are sending in our initial application to the adoption agency in Seattle (World Association of Children & Parent - WACAP). This is the agency that handles the actual adoption process and has the Thailand program. I called a few weeks ago and they said they usually process the applications within 24 hours of when they are received. I don't see any reason why we would not be accepted and they assured me that no one is actually denied unless things are tragically wrong (and there is always communication before had and an attempt to figure out the issues). I don't think we have anything tragically wrong with us, but still submitting an application naturally brings along nerves as well as anticipation.

For the application we had to write a paragraph describing the child we were hoping for. I didn't want to sound too cheesey, but really we are just looking for a child to love and who will love us back. Although Sam and I have decided we don't think we can handle life-long medical needs. It's a personal decision, but one we both agree on and feel very strongly about. Most people going through the adoption process have to make that decision, thankfully for us it was not painful or disruptive to the process. I feel lucky that Sam and I have for the most part, grown-up together. We know each other so well that sometimes a hard conversation for others is a simple one for us. We understand each other (most of the time) and most of all respect the people we have turned into over the last decade. I feel truly blessed for the things I have in my life and often feel guilty for requesting more, but I know we are going to give a child the chance it needs to really grow and prosper in the world.

Anyway - keep your eyes on the look out for the next post (hopefully one saying we're accepted and on the way - officially).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home