The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Friday, December 08, 2006

Getting some practice

Yesterday morning I had a chance to see what it would be like to have my two boys home (and running around). My friends Mike & Maria needed a favor, so I babysat for their son, Simon. Simon is actually just about a week younger than our little guy - so it was perfect. I was super nervous at first. It's been a while since I've taken care of a child that can't talk back and tell me what they need, when they are hungry, or if they need a diaper change. Thankfully, Simon is a great baby and we get along really well.

It was interesting loading everyone up and getting Ian ready for school and driving with two kids in the backseat. Carrying Simon, trying to hold Ian's hand, and not fall on a sheet of ice in the parking lot was also interesting (I must have been a sight for those seasoned mothers of three). I forgot how heavy little bodies can be when you have to hold them all the time. After dropping Ian off, Simon and I were homeward bound. We had a pleasant morning together (although he refused his morning nap) and it was a lot of fun being around that age again. It seems like forever since Ian was that little - and I know our son will be older when he gets home but it was a nice experiment. Ian had a rough time not getting all the attention - I was not really expecting that. I think we'll have to have Simon over more often for playdates and such. I don't think Maria will mind. :)

Ever since Thanksgiving I've been in a very peaceful place. Of course I'm anxious about the referral but a strange calm has come over me. I wish I could explain it - know how to conjure it when I need it again. For now, it's really great and making the holidays better than expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home