The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

If it's not one thing

Okay I just need to vent - so please excuse all the emotional spillage I'm about to dump out on this page. Turns out my New Year's outburst was a little premature - our agency is fairly certain that the bombings in Bangkok will do nothing to effect our process. I should have known better - by now you'd think I'd understand that the government over there works completely differently than ours and not to think in context of how the US would respond. Fortunatley it's not the same at all. Although I still don't think the mystery behind the bombings is solved, it doesn't appear to be an ongoing event.

However, after finally looking into some paperwork that I've been bugging Sam about for months it turns out we are already behind on renewing some things. Our fingerprints that were run through the FBI and National Security have expired and our open file with the FBI will expire in February. It's not a short happy processes for these papers and the ultimate approval we are waiting for (the I-171H) could take over a month to receive. This is going back to the one orphan officer in Cook County that processes these requests - apparently she's a little bogged down at the moment because our friends who recently finished this for the first time waited even longer than we did a year and a half ago. It's also a very expensive piece to this puzzle of paperwork we've been putting together for nearly 2 years.

We've just waited so long for everything to fall into place and to be this close to the finish line and to have to worry about these stupid approvals coming through....makes me crazy, angry, sad, and annoyed. I know once we travel and have our boy home it'll seem to small compared to the rest of the life we will have with him but it's really draining the first time around when you are trying to get things started. To have to deal with this crap when you are trying to get things finished seems so unfair and brings up all those emotions about being judged. All the hoops are bad enough one time around but to have been doing this so long we have to go through it again....there are no words.

Our agency has received no word about the status of our referral. Andrea says she's bugging them but either she's not getting a response or not getting any worthwhile information. I wish I could just get on a plane and set up house over in Bangkok. I keep thinking what's holding me back - my 4 hours of work each week at they Y? Ian's pre-school? Nothing but pure fear and finances - an evil combination (and the fact that living in a strange country, not speaking the language, and being a half a world away from Sam....I guess all that falls under fear). But what I wouldn't do for a free plane ticket to just go give him a hug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home