The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Daydreaming

I've noticed now that my life is a little less structured (no class schedule, no papers due, no meetings to attend) my mind has a lot more time to wonder. At night I find it hard to fall asleep because my mind just runs and runs all the questions, possibilities, and plans of the days (past and to come). I often wake Sam up (because he can fall asleep in 10 seconds) because a question has popped into my head that I should have asked him sometime that afternoon.

Today I found myself daydreaming about "the phone call." What will it actually be like to hear Andrea tell us we're going to Thailand? How could I possibly feel in that moment - what will I be thinking? I think about how I should feel, how I should react - excited, crying, happy. But will I instantly go into panic mode? Making lists of things to do.....things to gather.....schedules to plan.....will I miss my moment? Will I be able to take a step back and actually comprehend we will be traveling?

Will I even get a phone call? It's still several days away and I've already started thinking about the possibility that this won't happen. That I wanted it too badly -

Sometimes it's hard for me to imagine this ever ending - us ever getting "the phone call". Like we will be in a constant state of waiting. It's been over two years since we started this journey - and I always new it would end. That's the power of adoption - you know you'll have a baby in the end.....but have you ever just waited for something for so long it doesn't feel real anymore? I see his pictures - his wonderful pictures of him and the gifts we sent.....and he's there - he's real. But sometimes, THIS just doesn't seem real and therefore the idea of my actually getting on a plane and going to Thailand seems like crazy talk.

I want it to be real. I want that call. I'm afraid to want too much.

4 Comments:

Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

I so know how you are feeling. We started our adoption journey nearly 2 years ago and we're currently waiting for our referral. It is beginning to feel like this awful state of waiting, that I know I don't need to explain to you, is going to be permanent. It's never going to end. Although every day I imagine every second of our journey to Thailand to bring our child home, and every day of life with them here, it's feeling like it might just always be a fantasy.

Andrea from NZ

4/23/2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Exactly - a fantasy! Great word. Amazing how we are all feeling the same things through our journeys.

thanks for reading and commenting :)

4/23/2007 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Its great that your journey is helping others with theirs. I admire you for what you've been through with Ian and now with Jesse. The end is coming and Jesse will be home. If anyone deserves this its you and Samand Ian.

I love you. Think positive. Jesses blanket is on the way, look for it Wed or Thursday.

4/23/2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger Robin and Kyle said...

I hope you get the call soon! Thank you for sharing your story. We're waiting for Thailand too, but we're only just starting the process. (Dossier ready to state certify maybe next week?)

Robin

4/25/2007 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home