The Adoption Option

My spot for thoughts, feelings, rambles, and updates as we journey through the adoption process. Highlights: Dossier arrived in Thailand ~ Sept 26, 2005; Approved ~ October, 2005; Matched ~ August, 2006; Referral received ~ January 2007; Traveled & Home ~ June, 2007; Finalized!! ~ December, 2007

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Getting it all figured out

I've been very calm the past week - quietly making lists in my head, organizing what we need to pack, thinking about presents to bring. Yesterday we took Ian to Build-A-Bear to make a present for Jesse. He picked out a turtle - very cute and soft. We dressed him in a shirt I purchased forever ago that says "Someone in Thailand loves me" and Ian will give him this at their first meeting (at the airport when we return home).

I thought I had a good handle on things until we found a minor piece of information....Sam needs to be clean shaven and have short hair (in order to be most respectful and make the best impression on the board). It came as a bit of a shock because, after all, we are Americans.....and I understand how things are in their culture but we are basically tourists - and I don't think tourist generally change their appearance when on vacation. Sam is so easy going - he's like whatever, but I'm a little thrown. More because that's now what Sam looks like. My Sam has a scruffy goatee and long, soft, silky hair. And those are the images Jesse has seen (not sure it'll make a huge difference in the mental processes of a 1 year old - but it will to my 31 year old brain). I told Sam he'd have to do it soon, so Ian and I can get used to it before we leave. Poor Ian - I know he'll notice.

I haven't seen Sam's chin in 13 years! I also have to rethink my wardrobe. I have a great outfit picked out for the board meeting - but now it seems that I need to wear sleeves on most days (rather than sleeveless). I already have 3-4 outfits picked out and ready to go - even nicer sleeveless tops won't cut it if I want to show the utmost respect (which I do). So shopping it is for me and Sam for more respectable clothes :) This also means, I'll be packing more skirts than I had planned - I own them, so that's good - just didn't plan on bringing them. 100 degree weather and fat thighs don't often mix well in skirts :) I'll deal.

This weekend we are having family and friend over for a Q&A session, along with a calendar planning for Ian's schedule. Making sure my mom has plenty of support and playdates set up before we leave - giving her a break from 24/7 Ian watch.

I still can't believe it's real. We have plane tickets...we have a hotel reservation....still can't really believe it's real. Although - deep down I can feel a difference in my soul - the world is looking a bit brighter than it has in a long time.

5 Comments:

Blogger raych said...

Ah, so you'd think! But blisteringly hot weather + incredible humidity + cool, breezy skirts = relative comfort.
Have fun, my dear.

5/15/2007 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah,
Just think Sam can start growing his hair and goatee the miunte you step of that plane.

I don't think it will affect Jesse to much he will have a lot to take in not just Sams apperance.

Have Ian watch when Sam has it done that will be less of a shock on him.

Shopping is fun. Wearing biker shorts under your skirts can help.

love you
donna

5/15/2007 9:18 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Maybe it would be ok to wear a cardigan over the sleeveless tops? That way, you don't have to get all new tops, but you'll also have something to cover up with in case the A/C gets too much! :)

5/16/2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger Glen and Andrea said...

I was smiling reading your post as I have already thought about the heat and skirt issue!! I agree, I don't think sweaty rubby thighs will be fun! But I plan to wear bike shorts underneath as I came up with that idea this summer and it really was great. You still get the breeze around your legs but at the top you've got the comfort of pants! But as I've never been in such heat and humidity I don't actually know if it will be good in Thailand.

It's so awesome that you are at this stage. Shame about Sam's makeover, but you never know, you might like it! It's kinda like this whole process turns your life completely upside down and nothing is left unaffected. Even your appearance!

Good luck with all the planning, packing, and lists. I'm thinking of you. Don't forget to keep posting!

Andrea from NZ

5/16/2007 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've so excited for you!

5/29/2007 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home